Thursday, April 19, 2012

Our Red-Footed Tortoise

I have always wanted a Tortoise for a pet, a big guy that would wonder around the back yard grazing, sun bathing, and over all looking AWESOME!  But in the state that I live in they are not allowed to sell turtles and tortoise (or so I thought!)....
  
The smaller pet shop down the street next to our grocery store carries mostly fish, some birds, and rodents, also cats for a local rescue so when they got in a new display case with lots of little tanks I knew they were going to get in some new animals.  The tanks stayed empty for a month or so and then one day there was dirt, sand, or wood chips on the bottom of each tank.  It was like a week later and still no critters were in there so I finally asked about the tanks and the lady said that they were going to finally get an order in that Thursday!  (It seems that the lights in the tanks were not working at first so that is why they stayed empty for so long.)  I asked, since I was already bothering her, what they were going to get in (I was thinking about getting a chameleon) and she said lizards, snakes, and spiders, OH MY!  (heehee) And she said, which caught my attention (everything else I could find pretty easily at quite a few pet stores out here) was a tortoise.  A TORTOISE!!!!  But wait those can't be sold here!  The guy at the exotic pet show  a couple years back would not sell me the one on his table because of that, I told him it shouldn't be on the table with a price tag if you can't sell it here, he said I should visit him when they set up in SC!  A NO!  The lady at the pet store was not sure what kinda of tortoise they were getting in but it is 1 of like 2 they are aloud to sell in our state.  (Then why is it the first tortoise I have seen for sell in our area, I would think others would also like one and they would carry them in other pet stores.)  So I planed to visit the pet store on Thursday to check it out!  I went 2 times and both times they had not put them out if they had got them in yet so as I was getting 2 out of 3 kids ready for swim class I asked my hubby to stop by after work and see if he was out yet.  AND HE WAS!!!!  

So after dinner we went back to the pet store so I could check him out...  we thought a lot, he was quite a pricy little guy...  he (or she) was so adorable, was walking around, alert, looked healthy...  but at this time did we really want to spend $100 [cough, cough] plus (lots of pluses) on a new pet...  but we may never see another one for sell in this state again, I've been here 20 years and it is the first one!...  I really wanted one of the big light brown African Tortoise and this one, the Red-Footed, grows to be a medium size tortoise...  medium is probably better and his coloring was beautiful and bright!...  were we equipped to take care of him?  cage?  what did he eat?  lighting?...  

After walking around the grocery store while we mulled it over (and closing time for the pet store was drawling closer) we decided!  Since this was the first time and may be the last time we see a tortoise for sale in our area we were going to to get him!  

  
How can you pass up that face!!!  Priceless!!!  The kids (at least Lila) LOVE him too!  We like to watch him (or her) eat!  It's always a good thing to see your [cough] $$EXPENSIVE$$ [cough] animal eat!  We took him outside for the first time to play in the yard and he LOVED it!  Got to stretch out his little legs, get some sun, and LOVED munching on the clovers!  



Now I need help because he (or she) needs a name but we are not sure if it is a Girl or a Boy!  



Our Little Guy
Male                                                     Female
Male or Female?

What do you think?

Is it a Crush or an Izma?  

Rocky or Flower?

LowRider or Strawberry Short Cake?
(find more about gender here)

I am thinking Male and Crush (from Nemo) sounds like a cute name!  (maybe because I have a big crush on him, lol)

Well Thank You for reading and giving me you opinion on a the gender + name!
And remember...

~Love~Smile~Enjoy~Happiness~

(it is my goal!  and a good way to live)

~Ra~





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...